LYNTON HEALTH CENTRE PATIENT PARTICIPATION GROUP
TERMS OF REFERENCE & MEMBERSHIP
The purpose of the Patient Participation Group is to establish a system of communication with all the registered patients in the practice so that their views and concerns are fed back into the practice. To also communicate news and information from the practice to their patients.
KEY TASKS AND OBJECTIVES
The Key Tasks and Objectives are to:
contribute to practice decision-making and consult on service development and provision
· provide feedback on patient’s needs, concerns and interests and challenge the practice constructively whenever necessary
· serve as a ‘safety valve’ for dealing with grumbles and complaints about the practice – representing patients but also helping them to understand the practice’s point of view
· develop self help projects to meet the needs of fellow patients for example providing transport to enable patients to get to the surgery.
· act as representatives to attempt to influence the provision of health and social care
· provide a means for patients to make positive suggestions about the practice and their own healthcare
· influence the provision of secondary healthcare and social care locally
· monitor services, such as hospital discharge and support when back in the community
· participate in all community engagement activities for example on the provision of new services or changes in service development of NHS Somerset by providing feedback
· advise on how to spend money which has been donated to the practice
· liaise with other Patient Participation Groups in the area.
Membership of the group is voluntary. The group is open to all patients registered at the practice however there should be a good geographical spread to represent the practice population.
The group will elect a Chair and a Secretary. The Secretary will take the minutes which will be circulated to all members and made available to any patients on demand.
The meetings will be ideally attended by the Practice Manager and a GP.
The meeting will be quorate when four or more members of the group are in attendance.
If four or more members are not present, or cease to be present during the meeting it will be adjourned.
FREQUENCY OF MEETINGS
The group will meet at least bimonthly at the start and then on a quarterly basis.
The Terms of Reference will reviewed on an annual basis